[Xastir] GDAL, db42, etc (Mac & Leopard)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Nov 4 20:01:12 EST 2007

Here's a message from Jason that was auto-discarded by the list
software.  It had some good info.

  Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:16:54 -0600
  From: Jason kg4wsv
  To: Chip Griffin
  Cc: xastir at xastir.org
  Subject: Re: [Xastir] GDAL, db42, etc  (Mac & Leopard)

  On Nov 4, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Chip Griffin wrote:

  > with "C" it works. Why is that?

  C is posix standard 7 bit ASCII, IIRC.  en_US is 8 bit US English.

  > I think the FAQ needs updating. The FAQ says to change it to
  > "en_US" but as mentioned that doesn't work (at least not on a Mac
  > OS X (10.5) system.

  This is evidently new with Leopard.  I've been running Mac OS X
  since
  the first public beta and it's never mattered before.

  You're breaking new ground for the rest of us. (:

  -Jason
  kg4wsv

You've exhausted my knowledge of the matter.  We investigated the
problem originally when some of the Linux distributions changed the
LANG setting and came up with "C" and "en_US" at the time.  I don't
know why one of them doesn't work with Leopard.

I usually type "C" with Linux 'cuz it's easier to type, but both
work for me.  The default on OpenSuSE-10.3 is "en_US.UTF-8".

Also, for testing purposes you don't have to edit .profile (or other
files for other shells).  You can simply set the variable in that
shell and export it, then that shell and subshells of it will get
the new environment variable setting.  It won't affect any other
shells on our system.  For the BASH shell it's "export LANG=C"