[Xastir] Good news, Bad news...

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Nov 8 23:25:02 EST 2007

Good news:  We got lucky, and the latest Ubuntu release actually grabbed a
fairly recent stable snapshot of xastir: 1.9.0

Bad news:  This version still doesn't play well with the Motif libraries
that Ubuntu uses by default, so some of the dialog panels are missing
label text, as are some of the buttons.  I did discover, however, that if
you click slowly on the button, the button label appears faintly only
while you have the mouse button pressed.  No matter if it was the button
you wanted or not, the action indicated will be taken when you release the
mouse button.  This led to a Grrr. when I briefly saw 'delete' appear on a
button when I was expecting 'properties' in the interface dialog.

   I know the developers have been saying this is a bug in the motif
libraries, but I don't see this artifact in any other applications which
depend on those same libraries, so there must be some component of coding
style involved as well...

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin