[Xastir] Rotating Logs

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Mon Nov 12 18:02:09 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 13:55, Alex Carver wrote:

> What about the logrotate program that already handles system logs
> (like the cron log)?

1. That (at least on my end) is written in BASH. Not everyone who
uses Xastir uses BASH, so if I mimic it I might write something not
useful to everyone. I'd bet everyone has Perl installed on their
machine (I'd be shocked if they didn't). Granted, my early version
requires the module from CPAN, but that's a lot less drastic than
insisting they swap shells.

2. I was having trouble deciphering it enough to reproduce it.

3. My original goal was to write a script to rename (rotate) the
screenshot so that I could keep a bunch (~100). That would enable to
make a movie of a trip or evolution. But no approach I've had so far
has been successful in this realm. One of the downsides of
Logfile::Rotate is that it compresses every file it rotates. That
wouldn't work for my screenshot plan, not without adding an unwanted
layer.

Eventually I'll figure it all out. It's a matter of time and effort.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn