[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 4 15:11:53 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 01:39:33PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jdw at eng.uah.edu> flavor, containing:

>  On Oct 4, 2007, at 1:27 PM, William McKeehan wrote:
>
> > This would require Xastir having an "http" style
> > server that would serve up pages and would respond to certain queries with
> > XML
> > code.
>
>  Nice idea - this would be a reasonably easy interface for add-on tools.
>
>  This makes me think of the Xastir version 2 database engine.  Developers,
>  any  thoughts on v2?

I have many thoughts --- not the least of which is "It's long overdue."

My personal preference is that cool features like the one William proposes
are best done in a completely rewritten version of Xastir, one that is less
full of "creeping featurism" and more modularly and flexibly designed from the
start.

If there's ever any serious interest in getting that design started I would be
interested in participating, but have neither the time nor energy to kick-start
the effort myself.  Xastir2 has been a pipe dream trotted out every few months
since I first joined this list, and several developers have come and gone
waiting for a chance to help out with it.