[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:58:18 EDT 2007

Stephen - K1LNX wrote:
> Has there been a feature set discussed for Xastir 2.0?
>
> Some things I think need improvement:
>
> Maps, maps and more maps. We need the ability to use Google maps or our own
> mapservers without a lot of configuration for customization. For the end
> users such as myself, this would be invaluable. Try as I may, I have no
> interest in dbfawks, other maptypes etc. I like to load a good looking map
> and let the client do what it's supposed to (for me anyhow, I know people
> use Xastir for LOTS of other things) and that is display APRS posits on
> screen. Tiger maps just don't cut it for me, but as that is what I find to
> be reliable, that's what I use.

KML is now in a formal standardization process within the Open
Geospatial Consortium and on a fast-track.  I'm not writing anything
more to KML 'til I see the result.  All Google's IP on KML has been
turned over to OGC for this.  There are currently issues with the maps
that Google uses with regard to their accuracy.  Near as I can tell,
Google's doing pretty much everything right but some of the data they've
acquired isn't as good as they've been told, or the metadata is just
plain wrong.

> True cross-platform compatibility. Should it be developed in Python or Java?
> No more virtual machines for windows folks, even though we'd like them all
> to be using linux, that's just not going to happen overnight and there will
> always be die hard Windows and Mac fanatics.

Think of it as an upgrade path from Vista...

> Evaluate the existing feature set in Xastir now and decide if anything can
> be removed or improved upon.
>
> If I had coding skills I would gladly contribute them, but I can at least
> test :D

Time to learn...

gerry