[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 22:15:46 EDT 2007

On 10/4/07, William McKeehan <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> wrote:

> On Thu, October 4, 2007 5:49 pm, Jason Winningham wrote:
>
> > Ye gods, xastir already supports hundreds of formats.  If there's an
> > area of xastir lacking, that ain't it. (:
>
> I would almost agree - but there are 2 specific things that many people
> would
> like to see in Xastir (these are unseen for good reason).
>
> 1 - Google maps
> 2 - Integration with something like Precision Mapping (like UI-View32)

In other words...
1. More readable/usable maps that are retrieved online
2. More readable/usable maps that can be used offline

I vote for number 2 as the higher priority because the offline maps could be
used whether a computer is connected or not.  It seems to me that the
Tiger2006_SE shapefiles have all the information - it's just that the info
needs to be presented in a better way.  Applying dbfawk seems capable of
only marginal improvement.
Now to really move on to some wishful thinking, what I would like to see is
an open-source based "Street Atlas" program based perhaps on Tiger data that
is presented in a better looking, more readable format.  Of course, the new
program would be designed in such a way that xastir could use it.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX