[Xastir] While we are on the subject of feature ideas for Xastir

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Fri Oct 5 14:04:00 EDT 2007

IPv6 Support, I did a good bit of it previously diffed against an
earlier version, I have the tarball still somewhere. I couldn't
complete it as there were some changes I'd have had to make to
internal structures.

De-coupling the Display from the 'processing engine', though I'm not
sure how feasible it would be.

> I've done this in the past and found it was better/easier for me to
> have a configured digi and a lower powered APRS station.  While
> I've more computers at home than sense.... Well, you get the idea.
> I don't have a computer on a digi all the time unless I'm having
> hardware problems or want to monitor the channel authoritatively
> for problems.
>
> Still, I may concede this point.
>
>>> OK: I am now switching gears and asking for opinions
>>> and comments on a vizualization product.  If y'all would look at
>>> http://mesonet.tamu.edu/scoop-cgi/ogc/wrf and give
>>> me off-list feedback, I'd appreciate it.  I'm running the WRF
>>> (community
>>> developed Weather Research and Forecasting)model over a rather large
>>> domain, from ~40W to ~105W and ~5N to ~55N.  The display is
>>> surface wind
>>> fields.  The purpose of this model is to provide 10 meter height
>>> winds
>>> and surface barometric pressures to initialize ocean circulation
>>> and wave
>>> models, which will in turn be used to help predict storm surge and
>>> inundation.
>> It's hard to see some of the arrowheads especially on
>> the vectors that have small magnitudes.  It seems the
>> arrowheads scale with the magnitude of the vector,
>> too, and not just the length of the vector line. Perhaps fixed
>> sized arrowheads and color for the
>> magnitude like radar data?
>
> Good point/observation.  With the package we're using now... and
> most I've seen for model outputs, there's little I can do to keep
> the arrow heads a constant size but we can look into this.
Colour would definitely help if thats possible.  Is it possible to
animate it slightly slower?  Trying to follow a feature (and its
components) gets difficult as it's moving quite quickly.

Regards
de John
EI7IG
--