[Xastir] Easy fix for missing slider text in SUSE 10.2 and 10.3

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 6 14:59:37 EDT 2007

Hello one and all,

After upgrading to SUSE 10.3 (further pitfalls and gotcha's to follow
later), I see that it still has the slider text bug in OpenMotif.  However,
there is an easy fix and I also verified that it works in 10.2 also.

(I haven't put this in the Wiki yet, I only just got registered and I'm
trying to make sense of the pages there already to make sure I put this info
where people can find it).

1) Using the Installation Sources part of Yast, add these two locations
using the Specify URL method:

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/

2) Once Yast is through digesting those, fire up the Software Management
module of Yast and search for 'motif' (without the quotes)

3) Make sure that Auto-check is turned off (a checkbox at the bottom of the
screen).

4) For each item that was found that has a checkmark next to it indicating
that it's installed, do these steps:'

4a) Click on the item

4b) In the box below the list, click on the version tab

4c) Click in the little circle next to the lowest version available

5) Once you've done that for all the checked programs, they should have the
little ying-yang symbol on them indicating a reinstall is required

6) Click on the Check button.  This may indicate that some other software
needs to be downgraded.  This is OK

7) Click on OK or Finish for the change to take effect

8) Open a terminal window, do a full ./bootstrap;./configure;make clean;make
in your source directory

9) Using the su or sudo of your choice, do a make install

10) Launch Xastir and you should be good to go

The other good news is that I've seen very few updates to OpenMotif released
once the CD is made but double check that you aren't upgrading it every time
you launch Auto-Updates.

Dave
KD7MYC