[Xastir] Openstreetmap?

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Oct 7 17:25:14 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 21:53 +0100, Dave H wrote:
> I've had a quick look at the archive but haven't seen any reference to
> OpenStreetMap - I wonder
> if this could be incorporated into Xastir? - sorry if its a dumb question
> but it seems something
> that would benefit both Xastir and that project ..esp if Google maps isn't
> playing ball.

IMO, OSM is a useless kludge.

There are no specs for coordinate systems, datum, etc.  That means each
data collector uploads data in the system they deem useful to them,
which makes accuracy, by any stretch of the imagination, impossible.

Just because something has coordinates doesn't mean it's useful.  What's
the point of using a GPS when nobody uses it consistently?

I can get more reliable results using satellite imagery and a
zero-crossing filter.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>