[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Tue Oct 9 16:41:46 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 14:59 -0500, Gerry Creager wrote:
> Brad Douglas wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 15:32 -0400, William McKeehan wrote:
> >> I don't think you're hearing exactly what I'm saying.
> >
> > Obviously, I'm not. ;-)
> >
> >> I would not expect the users to "install and run a web server". If you're
> >> using Xastir, you have the option now of starting a "server"; I'm talking
> >> about the same thing, only having it speak a standard protocol, http.
> >
> > How can you execute XML-RPC without a server to interpret it?
>
> The process and protocols have long been established, while SOAP/WSDL do
> things in a poorly reproduced manner until forced to conform.

I'm an idiot.

I implemented a secure httpd-less SOAP server several years ago and
completely forgot about it.  The only alternative for Linux at the time
was libsoup.  I can't begin to count how many bugs we discovered that
were never resolved, so we forked it internally.

If there are better (read: usable) alternatives today, I'd be in favor
of a RESTful approach to client/server interaction.  It would certainly
give Xastir a good entry point for querying data from remote mapservers.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>