[Xastir] boot from external drive?

Niall Parker niall at ve7hex.ampr.org
Tue Oct 23 11:10:40 EDT 2007

Jason Winningham wrote:
> Has anyone tried putting a linux distro on an external drive (like a USB
> powered laptop drive enclosure) to boot linux and run xastir?  I'd
> gladly set up such a drive for the balloon chasers to use, if it would
> work.  Live distros work, but they are so slow I can't get my users to
> use them, and there is the problem of saving (and total ease of losing)
> the logged data.

The only issue is likely to be the system BIOS ... as long as it can
boot from a USB device then it should work, just make sure the USB etc.
drivers are built in the kernel or initrd. I haven't tried it myself yet
though is another project I was going to try sometime (using a USB flash
drive probably, just make sure the system has enough RAM to avoid using
swap).

					... Niall