[Xastir] boot from external drive?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:40:31 EDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> *) DAEMON:  We need a daemon that handles the interfaces, does the
> transmit timing, and talks to a database.

The nice part about this multiple binary approach is that development
could theoretically start soon, as the daemon could speak APRS-IS
over a local port and get GUI by talking to the existing xastir 1.9
server interface.

> *) DATABASE:  The initial database is probably going to be
> PostgreSQL with PostGIS extensions.

I'll have to admit I'm a bit torn on this one - I like to keep things
simple, and IMO xastir's fairly large number of external support
packages required are a weak point.  On the other claw, if a GIS-
aware database results in performance and features worth the effort,
then bring it on.

> *) GUI:  This is problematic.  Some of the handheld devices are Gtk
> only.  Some are Qt only.

This is a tough one.  The only thing I'll say here is keep support
package requirements as simple as possible, and whatever we use
should be fairly easy to get/build/use so that xastir doesn't depend
on Y which in turn depends on A, B, C, and D.  Something like
wxPython scares me.  I tried a quick (./configure;make;make install)
build of wxWidgets on Solaris and on linux, and neither was
successful.  I didn't try to find out why, but it _must_ be that
simple to get the support packages or people won't use xastir.

I wouldn't mind seeing a native Mac OS X port (is that Aqua?).

> *) LANGUAGE(S):  Can be different for each piece.  The daemon will
> most likely be written in C or C++.  The GUI pieces may be written
> in several languages as they only need to interface with the Xastir
> daemon API.

Again, let's keep that list short, and use those that are stable and
portable.  I hate to pick on python, but that's my poster child for
staying away from some of these development tools.  I have one
package that needs Python 2.X and others that need 2.Y (where Y = X +
1), and the two versions are incompatible!  This is a serious
management headache, and something that should not be inflicted on
end users.

> While we're at it, I'd also like to import maps and store them in
> our own internal format.  This would allow us to take image maps in
> some other projection and/or datum and convert them to what we need
> for display - ONCE!

Sounds like a good idea.  Could be a big performance improvement, and
would allow a simpler build for "typical" users, and some of us with
some processing horsepower and storage could convert to the xastir
internal format and distribute those converted maps for folks who
don't  want to do a "full" build.

Another worthy goal would be to allow for binary distributions.  I
know this can get ugly, but it will increase the user base (and
hopefully the developer base along with it).

-Jason
kg4wsv