[Xastir] boot from external drive?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Oct 24 10:02:13 EDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Gerry Creager wrote:

> Fortran-based GUIs are, of course, an exercise for the truly
> interested student.

Or the minimum-wage earning student.  Once upon a time, I implemented
some text support for a graphics library that was written in FORTRAN-
IV (which, the historically or chronologically gifted will recall had
no real character or string support).  I forget the name of the
graphics package, but I understand the brain will block out certain
kinds of trauma as a defensive mechanism.

> I'd like, at this point, to start arguing that if we do adopt our
> own internal format for maps that we produce a product capable of
> interacting with the Open Geospatial Consortium's standards for GML
> and servers.

Yeah, if there are already standards, we definitely want to target them.

Given what's going on with the free data (GNIS data loses useful
fields, TIGER may chage for the worse, etc) I would hope we could
replace some of the data we're losing with data that is in some of
the freely available mapservers that are out there.  Maybe somebody
will even figure out a sane way to replace TIGER with user-
contributed GPS road tracks, or something along those lines.

> I'll also echo Curt's call for enhanced security here.  We likely
> want to invoke some implementation of GeoDRM, even though it's got
> a lot of baggage associated with the name.

I'm gonna assume that GeoDRM is more about appropriate access control
levels to data and not like ScrewYouDRM as propagated by recording
industries.

I had assumed Curt was talking about more security aware code, less
subject to buffer overflow attacks and the like.

-Jason
kg4wsv