[Xastir] Window version

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 29 15:17:26 EDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

> What is the oldest Windows version, 98 or XP, that can run with the current
> revision? Any limitations? Any other thoughts that maybe somewhat related?

I believe you can run with 98, although I'd recommend 2000 as a more
robust minimum.

I know there are people running it currently under Windows, but I
don't know what proportion of them are running under the four
different methods, or on what class of Windows they're doing it.
The four methods:

*) Cygwin
*) VMWare Player
*) Microsoft Virtual PC
*) andLinux

The last three options are probably the more robust.  The first
option is probably the best for oldest/least-memory sort of
machines.

> I did notice with a particular mapping software I am using, tiles from the
> Teraserver quickly add up to more than 32K files in a directory. Windows 98
> doesn't like that; too many files. XP seems fine with an abundance of files!

We don't use tiles from Terraserver, so that won't be an issue.  We
download an entire image at once.