[Xastir] What's with the bullseye?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Sep 4 18:28:24 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 03:14:18PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:

> --- "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> > Looks like proximity circles being drawn by an
> > Xastir station
> > running version 1.7.1.  "440cvr" and "441.7125" are
> > both Xastir
> > objects from AI4PX.  I think he added the proximity
> > circles to one
> > or both of those objects.
>
> Ok, so what do the proximity circles do for Xastir or
> otherwise?  Do they trigger something?

They don't "do" anything but draw circles on the map.  The feature was primarily
put in place for use in search and rescue, where the circles are meant to
denote regions of probability.  It's a common tool used to limit the search
area to those distances within which subjects of the type being looked for
are usually found.  Such distances are tabulated for different types of
subjects.

The objects created like this would show up on all the Xastir instances in
use on the search, getting important mission information to everyone involved.
And obviously, to those who are not.