[Xastir] Xastir 1.9.1 on cygwin_nt-5.1

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Tue Sep 4 18:58:16 EDT 2007

Hi Bernard,

I used to be a cygwin user too, but found out that the Vmware solution ran
tremendously faster, especially on any fat internet feed.

If I recall what Curt told me, cygwin is slow basicly because it uses the
old 18.2 Hz PC interrupt as its key to decide when to check for a packet to
process on the defined interfaces.  As a result, if you're connected to a
feed that delivers a lot of packets, eventually the TCP receive buffer
fills, and the internet server disconnects from the xastir instance, leaving
the interface in an error state, unless and until it recovers, reconnects,
then eventually repeats the process.

On the other hand, running under VMWare gets the job done while apparently
providing a higher interrupt frequency to xastir.  There also seems to be a
lot less overhead associated with the linking phase of building applications
in the virtualized linux environment vs. the cygwin environment.  Also, I
still manage to run all of my Windows work desktop applications from the
Windows desktop, with loss of throughput relating to how busy Vmware Player
and applications running in it are making my system - but a LOT less so than
under cygwin.  Yep, I realize that 256MB of memory makes this a lot less
practical.

73,

Bob,  KD7NM