[Xastir] Might the Garmin Astro system and Rino HCx units work with Xastir?

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Fri Sep 7 15:43:23 EDT 2007

Hi, All.............

I still haven't had the opportunity to try it in our relatively flat
land heavy forests, but the general consensus is that the Garmin Rino
100 series  aren't worth the time and effort -- both from a lack of
transmission power and a weakness of the GPS receiver.  The Garmin Rino
500 series increased the transmission power -- up to 5 watts on GMRS
channels -- but supposedly still has the weak (read: you have to be in a
break in the forest canopy to have a chance of getting a satellite lock)
GPS receiver.

The new Garmin Rino 500 series HCx units has the up to 5 watts on GMRS
channels and a more sensitive GPS receiver (is it sensitive enough to
track a searcher where they ARE???).   I have not talked to ANYONE that
has any experience with these units.   The problem is the unit costs
have really gone up.... $375 to $550.

In April, Garmin released a new system called the ASTRO system marketed
to track hunting dogs.  They say base unit can track 10 "dog units".
The Garmin website for this product is:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8576

We are really looking for a self-contained, clean, simple, lightweight
unit to hang on the belt of a volunteer searcher..... something they do
not have to operate.   Therefore, the idea of the Rino-type device is
extremely attractive compared to a Tracker plus GPS plus Radio setup.

Does anyone have opinions as to whether the Garmin Astro unit might work
with Xastir?   What questions could I ask Garmin Tech Support that would
confirm or deny this?  Does anyone have any experience with the Rino
520HCx or Rino 530HCx or the AStro units as stand alone systems or with
Xastir?

I wrote to Garmin attempting to get them interested in helping our
volunteer group, but they declined.  Does anyone know anyone in Garmin?

Many thanks in advance for the input .............. later.... jt

--
Jim Tolbert
Town of Sand Lake, Burnett County, WI  54893

RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net