[Xastir] Water/hydrology shapefiles for Canada?

Mike Fenske mfenske at telus.net
Fri Sep 21 12:05:09 EDT 2007

Joe Veldhuis wrote:
> Much as the subject implies, I am wondering if anyone has come across any good sources of water/hydrology shapefiles for Canada. The Tiger shapefiles for the US look great, but the parts of Canada in my usual map view look depressingly dead in comparison without similar data.
>
> On a sidenote, has anyone come up with a good .dbfawk for the Geobase.ca road shapefiles?
>
> -Joe, N8FQ

Hi Joe. I use shapefiles for British Columbia from here:

http://www.em.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Geolsurv/Publications/catalog/bcgeolmap.htm

You can't download the hydrology files separately, but each zip file has separate shapefiles for lakes, rivers, roads (major), railway, etc. You'll want the Geographic projection maps.

Haven't looked at other provinces. If you find something, let us know.

Regarding the .dbfawk for Geobase.ca roads, I do have one, but I wouldn't call it good. Just displays roads in grey and 4 lane highways in wide red.

Mike Fenske
VE7MKF