[Xastir] HowTo Mandriva

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 01:03:00 EDT 2007

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo%27s
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Mandriva

Hello,

After playing around with VMware and different Linux distributions over the
past few months,
one pleasant surprise was Mandriva One 2007 Spring. It is a single CD
installation, which is
well suited for installing under VMware Server, where one can point to the
ISO image and install
from it without first burning it to a CD. I had done the same with Ubuntu,
but the Mandriva
installation was even faster than Ubuntu's. I also found that virtually all
of the libraries needed
for compiling a "full featured" XASTIR were available in the Mandriva
repositories (gpsman
was the only one I had to get externally).

I liked it enough that when it came time to set up (finally) my own native
Linux box, I decided to use
the Mandriva One CD. I was in for more pleasant surprises. It automatically
detected a Netgear
MA311 wireless PCI card upon installation. Then when the signal strength was
a bit weak, I switched
to a no-name (Gigafast) wireless USB dongle with a USB extension cable that
was laying around,
and it detected that as well. Today I went ahead and compiled XASTIR from
CVS on the Mandriva
box and noted the steps along the way, which is now a new HowTo for
installing XASTIR from
source in Mandriva (links above).

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT