[Xastir] Current status on using 2007 FE maps at The Owl's Nest...

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 20 09:11:52 EDT 2008

Currently, these are the maps that I am using:

arealm
areawater
county (state file)
edges
place (state file)
pointlm

The rest appear to be census service specific or not of good use for the
xastir users at the moment.

Map layering of the files is quite important or details get covered up.

Gerry Creager received, from me, quantity two of the six DVD set of the
complete 2007 FE maps and will put the maps up on his server for
downloading Real Soon Now (Gerry, not a slam but an acknowledgment  of
your current workload).

The quality, and consistency of the map data is all over the place. Some
counties are well detailed, others look like barren deserts when they
are not. Also, be warned that the map sets are storage intensive so it
is best to remove the files that are not needed. Your friend here will
be "qgis" to update and maintain the files. I will post the .dbfawk's
and the map layering in another posting.

One issue I am seeing and I do not know if it is specific to my machine
or not is that at magnification numbers < 17, area fills are not
completing. I do not know if this is something new or an ongoing issue.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO