[Xastir] Zypad?

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Fri Apr 25 14:36:20 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 12:55 -0400, Rick Green wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Brad Douglas wrote:
>
> > - Still requires USB to TNC/radio for APRS, making arm placement fairly
> > useless as USB is not a locking connector
>
>   It supports bluetooth and Wifi.  remote serial support is available for
> both, so you don't have to tangle your body with wires.  The zypad can
> communicate with the TNC/radio clipped to your bat-utility belt without
> them.

Good point.  I didn't entirely think that through.  Bluetooth would be
ideal, but I still don't like the idea of a WiFi transmitter attached to
me (however, they don't specify power output).

FYI -
>From what I can tell, it looks like they are using a UBlox[1] GPS
chipset and a Sarantel[2] Helical antenna.  The GPS chipset is an
absolutely outstanding performer, supports multiple GPS constellations,
and is *very* expensive (~$100USD for a single chip).  The antenna is
designed to have maximum gain at altitude, not on the ground.  I use
them in a couple of projects.

I hope this is useful info, Craig.

[1] http://www.u-blox.com/products/tim_4r.html
[2] http://www.sarantel.com/products/geohelix-p2

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>