[Xastir] torrents and xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 1 10:41:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Gerry Creager wrote:

> Imagine a site with a CONUS map (to start, and thinking small; we could scale
> up) where you can use a bounding box to identify your region of interest or
> cursor to select a particular point (map).  After that selection you see an
> inventory of different maps and types of maps available, and you use a
> check-list to identify the ones you want.  The site prepares a separate
> page/Torrent stream to provide these, and the page is lightly persistent
> (days before it ages out) and indexed on a page of recent selections.
>
> You'd have the option of getting the data via download or Torrent at that
> point.  Simplified data delivery.

In this case you don't gain any advantages of the peer-to-peer
distributed transfer.  You only gain the advantage of another method
of server->client that may be easier to use at the client end.

We'd need a server with the space for 100 DVD's worth of data for
DRG's and another 100 for DOQQ's plus space for other types of maps,
professionaly backed-up.  Also need a big pipe 'cuz non-Xastir
people will find it too.

Now:  Imagine the same kind of a setup as you describe but have it
auto-create the torrent files and keep them around, plus post them
on a web site.  As maps get distributed from BIGSERVER over
torrrent, the bandwidth required would go down over time assuming
enough people became seeders.

Of course the reality is the server would become more popular over
time, but the torrents might keep the total bandwidth used more
under control.  Less of an exponential rise anyway.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer