[Xastir] Getting rid of external libraries (opinion)

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 20:48:06 EDT 2008

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Dick Repasky wrote:
>
>> I realize that it is a huge task, but I think that switching the GUI is
>> inevitable.  If only one GUI will be supported, my vote is for a GUI
>> that can
>> also be  built on Windows with as little modification as possible.
>
> Yea.  I'd go that way too.
>
> This is all fun to discuss and all but may never take root.  The
> bulk of the effort needs to go toward Xastir-NG, which can have such
> use-cases defined for it and therefore coded from the beginning the
> "right way".
>
> It may be that people want to continue the current code as well for
> some reason, in which case these discussions really might matter.
> As long as there are enough developers to go around that is.

I am only a user and in no way should you consider me a developer at
all. But, I am a user of xastir and have watched the development grow
and flourish the last few years.

If I were to have a say so, I would vote that further development on
this version (1.9xx) should be abandoned and work on version 2.0.x
should begin. It would really be great if as many libraries as possible
be incorporated internally so that we, the users, wouldn't have to hunt
to find these external libraries and so that we users would have a
working program from the start. It would require mucho trubajo from you
developer types, but your rewards will be many, in heaven, maybe?

OK that's probably more than a nickel's worth, so you guys keep the change.

--
Steve Friis
Amateur Radio Call:WM5Z