[Xastir] MPR support

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 12 12:31:33 EST 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Do you know what datum the TOP50 CDROM's are published in?  The map
> projection used?

I see there's a conversion program (mpr2geotiff) that will allow you
to convert these maps to geoTIFF files:

    http://libmpr.origo.ethz.ch/wiki/documentation

Once you have them in geoTIFF format you can use open-source tools
to warp them to a different projection or datum for use with Xastir,
so it looks like with some work you could use those maps.  The GDAL
package has "gdalwarp" for this.  Note that you might need to
combine several maps together first, then warp them to the proper
datum and projection, to get an end result that is presentable.
I've done some warping of geoTIFF images and gotten black rectangles
along the edges by doing individual images.

Xastir's README.MAPS talks a little bit about gdalwarp and how to
use it for a particular case or two.  Tom might have some ideas to
help you if you run into trouble trying to do this.