[Xastir] Group Messages

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 12 15:54:04 EST 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> A quick glance at the while loop which reads it in makes me think
> that each group name is on a separate line with a linefeed (or
> alternately linefeed & carriage return) at the end of each line.
> Actually it looks like they expect up to 9 characters and then a
> linefeed, which is enough for a six-character callsign, a dash, and
> a 2-character SSID.

I did a quick test with Xastir in debug level 2, connecting it to a
messaging-only feed on the 'net.  My group file looked like this:

> cat groups
SAR
ICP
TEST
TEST-15
SCVSAR

And Xastir printed this on standard error when the first message
came across:

*** Startup of read/write threads for port 2 ***
End port 2 threads
Port 2 read start
Port 2 write start
alert_display_request
found Msg w/line: |YO3FHM| |o sa raman in start up| |37|
Group  0: APX193
Group  1: ICP
Group  2: SAR
Group  3: SCVSAR
Group  4: TEST
Group  5: TEST-15
Group  6: WE7U-14
Group  7: XASTIR
found Msg w/line: |AD6NH-14| |call when u can| |44|

So...  It appears that I got the file format for the groups file
correct.  Probably should document that now that we've learned it,
huh?  Also, there's some stuff in help/help-English.txt about
groups, and it says it isn't fully implemented yet:

    "Send Message to and Open group messages"

The following three paragraphs in that file talk about it.