[Xastir] new Qt license and xastir v2

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Wed Feb 13 14:35:39 EST 2008

On 24 Jan 2008, at 09:18, Brad Douglas wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 08:53 -0800, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Brad Douglas wrote:
>>
>>> Like I said before, let's leave this up to Xastir developers to
>>> decide
>>> what works best for them.  We've both made good points they can
>>> reflect
>>> upon, so let's leave it at that.  If you want to discuss it
>>> further, we
>>> should probably take it off the list.
>>
>> The current thought is to split the monolithic program up into
>> pieces, with a daemon handling the transmit timing, interfaces,
>> decoding, and feeding of an SQL database.
>
> That sounds like an excellent approach.  Although Xastir is not
> exclusively *NIX, the *NIX philosophy/conventions applies and without
> degradation of portability.  It's good to play to it's strengths.

A bunch of emails seems to have appeared together,

Has anyone moved further than just some thoughts?

When I looked at the xastir source to go about adding IPv6 support, i
did find it challenging to understand what was going on.  Pretty much
99.9% due to my dumbness.  That said I was able to generate a patch
that worked, but I didn't complete it due to the fact that it would
have required some changes to xastir structures that I didn't want to
mess with.  So I left well enough alone.

That said, if it was split into more manageable pieces, it would mean
that other, less gifted individuals (much like myself) may be able to
contribute.  Though that may not be borne out in practice.. I don't
really know how these things go.

Regards
John

--