[Xastir] GPS question, off topic.

Richard Polivka r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 15:21:12 EST 2008

A tidbit...

In decimal degrees, N43.00000 W88.00000 to N43.00001 W88.00000 is equal to about 1.1 meters.

If they are looking for sub-meter accuracy, they will need at least six decimals out, unless they are saying that their accuracy is to five decimals +/- 0.000005. That's specsmanship in my book.

Moving accuracy is not going to be too good as to get some honest accuracy, you can't be moving.

The ionosphere is always moving and models will not really be able to figure it out accurately. I wonder if their system is some form of a two station RTK system using a stationary system to supply correction to the rover.

If it sounds too good to be true....

73 form 807,

Richard, N6NKO

John Ronan <jronan at tssg.org> wrote: >
Evening,

> What would the GPS be used for? APRS Tracking? Farming?

Farming actually.
> The Phoenix GPS claims sub-meter accuracy. Barring marketing lies,
> this is not possible with only WAAS. WAAS would likely get you to 3
> meter accuracy at best (Gerry N5JXS certainly knows more about this).

Ok thats what I was reckoning.
> The eDif feature mentioned for th Phoenix appears to attempt to
> model ionosphere delays by analyzing multiple satellite signals
> over time. Normally ionospheric delay (signal bending) correction
> is done using a 2nd GPS frequency, on which the actual data is
> encrypted, but the clock information can be extracted. This 2nd
> frequency is what is normally referred to as "Military grade" GPS.
> The eDif claims to be able to get the same type of correction data
> out of a single frequency receiver. It also sounds like a costly
> add-on.

ok
> The other differential positioning technologies mentioned are
> likely DGPS,  where you have a separate GPS receiver at a precisely
> known position which radios out the offsets (within some "local"
> radius) between the GPS-derived position and its precisely known
> position. DGPS receivers recieve and incorporate these offsets into
> their calculations.

ok
> The question back to you,  I guess, would be: do your friend need
> sub-meter accuracy and 10Hz position updates? (Most NMEA-out GPSs
> output positions only at 1Hz or less, depending on the NMEA
> sentences enabled.)

Ok.

Short answer is I'm not really sure

I'll try and address Curt and Gerry's questions as well.

Firstly.. WAAS signals aren't a problem, the only mountains are
North, and going south, next stop would be Spain. Most of the land is
pretty flat.

The system is being marketed to do several things (apologies, I'm not
at my desk, so the piece of paper I wrote the URL on is not available
to me.. scratch that.. found it. http://www.farmworks.co.uk/gps.php
click on GPS Swath Guidance ), one of which is to allow him to spread
fertiliser with as little overlap as possible.  This is because over
the course of a season, the cost of the overlap is quite high
apparently (in monetary terms).  It must be appreciable as he is
looking for a method to reduce that cost, but is sceptical of the
solutions presented.

Purely as an exercise, I was going to try the GPS-18 that I have
already, put GPSman running (or something) and drive one or two of
his fields.. just to see what he thinks...all the locals looking at
their APRS displays will think I've gone barmy...

Regards
John

--
John Ronan , +353-51-302938