[Xastir] What county am I in?

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Fri Feb 15 10:51:42 EST 2008

Have been digging around on this for a while, but haven't found quite the
answer I'm hoping for.  I may have even asked here before, but didn't find
it in the archives - And, this might not be quite on topic, but is about as
close as I could come for the right bunch of folks to ask.

Using Xastir or some other mapping program, given a functional, running gps
and given a set of county shapefiles, is there an easy way to get a running
display - preferably text based - of "you're in this county right now" ???

Why?  Virginia QSO party approaches.  For a rover type operation, one which
may operate in transit, with one person driving, another operating the
radio(s) it would be very useful to know what county and or independent
city you're operating from at any give time.  Similar problem - though much
easier to figure out - for VHF rovers "what grid am I in?"

It seems like a simple question; "Can you please tell me where I am?"
If only the counties were all square and lined up with the Lat/Lon lines.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhaus.org