[Xastir] Xastir on Mac OS X 10.5. Leopard

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Mon Feb 18 21:04:39 EST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 17:33, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 3:15 PM, Ernst Niggli <eniggli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 3) Installed Dev System and X11 from DVD, then the most recent
>> version
>> (X11 2.1.4. from http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz )
>
> Is this a fork of Apple's X11, or is it a replacement, or what?
> I've been getting X11 from Apple downloads (or the OS install media).
>
> Leopard is the most busted OS X ever (and I ran the beta version of
> 10.0).  Make me wonder if my hardware is dying.
>
> Thanks for the update!

In order to get Leopard out on time some sacrifices were made. X11
was at least one of them that was a little sub-prime when shipped.
The update to 10.5.2 includes some updates to X11 which make it
somewhat better (effectively between 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 according to the
programmer). These releases are official Apple releases from official
Apple sources. In fact there are some contributions from the
community and one of the leading contributors was recently hired by
Apple and is hard at work on X11/Xquartz. When release candidates are
available, and when they time right with other releases, Apple has
committed to rolling the releases out via official channels (update
program).

Part of the reason for the big issues was a complete rewrite from
XFree86 to X.org (I think). I'm not sure all the reasons for the
switch, but it was a big project and they didn't fully complete it in
the window. It is now pretty stable though, and with the 10.5.2
update I think it is much more usable (and more so if you use the
Xquartz updates).

There is an official Apple list (two actually) dedicated to this
subject where you can listen to the latest chatter, contribute your
experiences (positive and negative) and interact directly with the
development staff at Apple. (Much like we do here.) These can be
found at http://lists.apple.com and then click on the "Lists" button
in the menu bar at the bottom of the page. This will show you all of
the available lists. The one I'm on is "X11-users". I don't see the
other one on the list, but it is more for developers anyway.

-- Chip
new email: n1mie at ct.metrocast.net

-- Chip