[Xastir] Off Topic -- I got my Ticket!

Earl Needham earl_needham at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 11:26:09 EST 2008

At 06:21 2/21/2008, Jim Tolbert wrote:
 Any suggestions of good used equipment sites for my home setup would be appreciated as well as your thoughts on good reading material and the minimum set of gear.   I need something to justify expenditures to the CFO (da wife :-) ).   I have the ticket -- now I need some practical knowledge.  I recognize, I don't know hardly anything.
         There are some really nice rigs out there, depending on what bands you want to use.

         For APRS -- yes, the Kenwood and Alinco rigs with everything but the GPS built in are nice, but if you get a Kantronics KPC-3+ (TNC) (what? Maybe $200 now?) and go to eBay and find a good, used GE Delta or Phoenix, you can have them re-programmed and aligned for 144.39 for usually less than $75., making the whole setup a bit less money than a new rig.

         I have a Delta under the bunk in the 18-wheeler I drive, and it works FB.

         7 3
         Earl

 KD5XB -- Earl Needham
 Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk