[Xastir] Starting with a scanned USGS 7.5" paper map....

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Sat Jan 19 13:12:22 EST 2008

I am collecting the USGS topographic maps for  my area and I am
fortunate in that all except one were on Libre Map.  The one that was
missing, The good folks at UW Madison Geography Library had the paper
map and scanned it for me.  So now I have a 454MB scanned image in tif
format.

Setting aside the fact that for one map, I would probably be better off
just buying the proper Geotiff map files............  How do I go from
this scanned image to a georeferenced digital file?  Can I get there
from here?

Looking at the other fdg files in the set, it seems that they indicate
that the USGS 7.5" maps are reduced to 250dpi.  When I do that, my files
are ~3X the other geotif files in the set (10MB vs 3.7 MB).

Using GeoTiffExaminer
(http://www.mentorsoftwareinc.com/FREEBIE/FREE0699.HTM ), it would seem
that I could convert a scanned tif image into a Geotiff file if I knew
what georeferencing info to give it.

In trying to understand README.MAPS, it seems that those instructions
assume that you are starting with a GeoTiff map of some extraction.

Many thanx............. jt

--
Jim Tolbert
RiverRidge Consulting, LLC