[Xastir] Xastir and Ultimeter weather station

Steve Jones steve at mikeoxlong.net
Sat Jan 19 21:08:30 EST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 8:50 PM, Chip Griffin wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2008, at 20:32, Alex Carver wrote:
>
>> Steve can fill in a lot of the details but he's trying to use two
>> computers with one Ultimeter and doesn't want to split the serial
>> ports in hardware, instead he's going to try splitting the port by
>> software.

Here's the current setup:

Weather Display running on an old laptop hooked up to my Ultimeter.
Weather Display currently sets up my weather webpage and uploads it to
my Mac (http://weather.mikeoxlong.net).  It also generates a wxnow.txt
file every 5 minutes.

Ui-View running on a second computer which looks for the wxnow.txt
file generated by Weather Display.  This is my APRS computer.

My main computer is a Mac.  It hosts my webpages, mail server, etc, etc.

I have been successful in building Xastir for the Mac and was hoping
to shutdown the computer which currently runs Ui-View.

Weather Display has been running for 7 years now and it's been
extremely reliable.  I started off with an old WX200 and upgraded to
the Ultimeter a couple of years ago.

I currently have no plans to replace Weather Display.  All I need is a
way to get the weather from the Weather Display computer into Xastir
on the Mac.

I really don't see a need to pipe a full feed into Xastir but if this
is what it's going to take, then I'll probably have to use a com port
sharing program such as GPSGate.

I was hoping Xastir supported the wxnow.txt file that a lot of other
programs support but apparently it doesn't.

Steve