[Xastir] Xastir and Ultimeter weather station

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 14:53:46 EST 2008

>   Darn.  How difficult would it be to implement?  I
> was looking at the
> ser2net package running under openwrt on an Asus
> WL-500gP 'appliance' to
> better locate my wind and temp sensors.  I've found
> some commercial
> solutions (B&B Electronics) which include a driver
> to implement a 'virtual
> serial port' locally, but that's more $$$ and
> closed, so I don't want to
> go there.

The program socat works pretty well for remote serial
over network connections.  The only sticky wicket I've
come across with it is the apparent inability to set
serial port speeds on the server side (where the
physical port is actually located).  Openwrt should be
able to fix that with regular ioctl() calls through
something like setserial.  Socat is supposed to be
able to do this, but on my systems it doesn't work.  I
have to use something else to set the port up first
then let socat latch onto the port.  After that it
works just fine.

Crazily enough, I have Xastir running on a Debian
machine in my living room sucking data from a TNC in
my office connected to a WinXP machine.  Socat sits
quietly in the background running on a minimized
Cygwin terminal.