[Xastir] Xastir and Ultimeter weather station

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Jan 23 12:41:55 EST 2008

Here's what the Peet bros FAQ has to say about the ultimeter data format:

(quoting from http://www.peetbros.com/shop/custom.aspx?recid=5#Q6)

ULTIMETER MODELS 2000, 800 & 100 SERIAL DATA SPECIFICATIONS
(see above for ULTIMETER II Serial Data Specifications)
GENERAL

     * 2400 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity.
     * ASCII hex digits (0 - F).
     * All fields are 4 bytes except 2 bytes where indicated in the
complete record mode.
     * Most significant digit first.

NOTES:
1. IGNORE THE FIRST TWO DIGITS OF WIND DIRECTION. THESE DIGITS ARE
NORMALLY 00, BUT IF A DIRECTION CALIBRATION NUMBER HAS BEEN ENTERED, THEY
MAY BE FF.
2. RAIN GAUGES THAT MEASURE IN INCREMENTS OF 0.1 MM ARE FULLY SUPPORTED ON
THE ULTIMETER LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY. ANY PROGRAM OR DEVICE USING THE
SERIAL DATA OUTPUT MUST UNDERSTAND THAT THE DATA IS IN 0.1 MM INCREMENTS.
SERIAL OUTPUT FOR ALL OTHER RAIN GAUGE SELECTIONS IS REPORTED IN
INCREMENTS OF 0.01 INCHES.

     * Data Logging Mode (Default Output Mode) Press CLEAR + WIND SPEED for
3 seconds.
       While in this mode, records are sent out continuously at up to about
90 per minute. The total record size is 40 hex digits + header, carriage
return and line feed.

/snip/

DATA LOGGING MODE - RECORD STRUCTURE

     *
       Header = !!
     *
       Data Fields
           o 1. Wind Speed (0.1 kph)
           o 2. Wind Direction (0-255)
           o 3. Outdoor Temp (0.1 deg F)
           o 4. Rain* Long Term Total (0.01 inches)
           o 5. Barometer (0.1 mbar)
           o 6. Indoor Temp (0.1 deg F)
           o 7. Outdoor Humidity (0.1%)
           o 8. Indoor Humidity (0.1%)
           o 9. Date (day of year)
           o 10. Time (minute of day)
           o 11. Today's Rain Total (0.01 inches)*
           o 12. 1 Minute Wind Speed Average (0.1kph)*
     *
       Carriage Return & Line Feed

*Some instruments may not include field 12, some may not include 11 or 12.
Please contact Peet Bros. if this presents any problem.
Total size: 40, 44 or 48 characters (hex digits) + header, carriage return
and line feed.

(end of quote from Peet Bros FAQ)

Last year at Dayton, I bought a Peet Bros U100 as a 'factory refurbished'
unit.  When I got it home and opened it up, the box contained a control
unit marked 'Ultimeter 500', which appears to be essentially a U100 with
the addition of a built-in indoor temp sensor.  It appears to output a
datastream compatible with the U100, U800, U2000 spec above.  Here's a
sample:

!!000000BD00D70000----0215--------001602FF00000000
!!000000BD00D70000----0215--------001602FF00000000
!!000000BD00D70000----0215--------001602FF00000000
!!000000BD00D70000----0215--------001602FF00000000
!!000000BD00D70000----0215--------001602FF00000000

So, mapping this against the spec from the FAQ, I get:

!! - Header indicating 'data logging mode'
0000      o 1. Wind Speed (0.1 kph)
00BD      o 2. Wind Direction (0-255)
 	( I sent Curt personally yesterday a note documenting what I
 	believe is a bug in the implementation of Note 1 on this field.)
00D7      o 3. Outdoor Temp (0.1 deg F)
0000      o 4. Rain* Long Term Total (0.01 inches)
----      o 5. Barometer (0.1 mbar)
0215      o 6. Indoor Temp (0.1 deg F)
----      o 7. Outdoor Humidity (0.1%)
----      o 8. Indoor Humidity (0.1%)
0016      o 9. Date (day of year)
02FF      o 10. Time (minute of day)
0000      o 11. Today's Rain Total (0.01 inches)*
0000      o 12. 1 Minute Wind Speed Average (0.1kph)*

I have no rain, barometer, or humidity sensors.  As we can see, the
ultimeter is reporting '----' which is a pretty clear missing data
indication for the baro and humidity values, but its reporting the
misleading '0000' for the absent rain values.

I don't remember this being a problem when I first set it up, but a week
or so ago, I noticed clearly bogus values (~40.06 inches hg!) showing up
regularly in the barometric pressure value on the 'own weather data' panel
and in the transmitted values.  I have no idea where this is coming from!

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin