[Xastir] APRS-IS without authentication?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 22:12:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:
> Sometimes, I'd like to bring up xastir on my laptop and connect to an
> internet server just to see what's going on in the neighborhood.  I've
> found, however, that I don't get any data from the aprs-is unless I
> 'authentacate' myself with my callsign and passcode.

do you have a position-dependent filter?

I had the same problem, until I figured out that with my filter to
only show me stations near my position (the r filter?) I needed to
send a position report for the filter to have enough data to work.

There's another filter that is a radius around a lat/long (whole
degrees) that will allow you to get a filtered feed without
transmitting.

-Jason
kg4wsv