[Xastir] Database Storage

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 8 11:44:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

> I'm just getting my feet wet with Xastir and APRS in general, but come
> at this with an extensive background in geospatial tech. I was
> wondering if anyone has any links/tips on how best/easiest hook into
> xastir to store positions in an external database? It looks easy
> enough to simply parse the log files on a periodic basis and stuff
> this into a DB, but this seems to be somewhat of a kludge. Any better
> suggestions from the list?

Two things:

*) There's some initial code that stores data in a database.
Hopefully the author will jump in here and let you know how to
enable it.  I'm not sure whether it's ready for prime-time yet (it
may very well be).

*) The Xastir2 or Xastir-NG project intends to solve this problem
(well, we'll see what the Use Case's turn up anyway) and others.
Subscribe to the Xastir-Dev list and check out the new Wiki on the
sourceforge.net/projects/xastir pages for more info.  Hopefully
we'll be directing more energy towards the new project and less to
the old in the near future.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer