[Xastir] No Map pictures using xastir-1.9.3

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 10 11:19:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Larry wrote:

> I downloaded the tar ball, then compiled it...I also did a ./update-xastir...

Good.  There's more that you can do to fix it then.

The default background in Xastir is grey.  When you load an online
map, does the background turn black?  If so, your IM or GM were
compiled with the wrong options by the package managers.

Sometimes you can get good images with one type of map but not
another, for instance Tigermap was working for me but all the
Terraserver options weren't, so I switched from IM to GM (or
vice-versa) and it fixed it.

The way to switch if you have both of them installed is this:

     ./configure --without-grahicsmagick

Xastir's "configure" will attempt to use GM if both GM and IM are
installed properly.  The above flag will make it switch to the next
in line, IM.  You can also uninstall the -dev package and install
the -dev package for the other to force the choice.

You can see all of the options to configure by typing:

     ./configure -help

>> Are you trying to use local map files or online maps?
>
> On line maps right now...

Send us the text you see when Xastir is first started up.

>> If internet maps, do you have libcurl or wget installed?
>> ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick installed?
> I have all of the above installed...

Plus libcurl-devel, ImageMagick-devel, GraphicsMagick-devel?

Without those packages, Xastir doesn't know how to use them and
won't compile them in.  The startup text and/or the Xastir
Help->About text should tell you what it's compiled to use.

You can also look in the ~/.xastir/tmp/ directory for files like
map.gif, map.png, map.jpg...  These are the files that wget or
libcurl are snagging for you from the internet, then Xastir is
trying to display as a map.  Try viewing them in a graphics viewer
to see if they look ok.  If so, then wget/libcurl are doing their
job but IM or GM libraries as used with Xastir are not.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer