[Xastir] TechCrunch Web Tablet Project

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:16:38 EDT 2008

Just FYI,

I have begun working on aprs software for Nokia S60 Mobile phones (N95
etc), using a USB<->Serial Connection from the phone to the TNC.

Porting all of xastir to this platform is unrealistic, but these
devices should work quite well for mapping received positions and may
even be able to act as an IGate if there is Cellular Service
available. We have been working with MGMaps (http://www.mgmaps.com/)
which supports the full range of web mapping services, and lets us
cache imagery/maps to the device intelligently.

The program is written in Python for S60, and we use C++ modules when
necessary.

If anyone is interested in contributing to this effort, drop me a line.

FWIW, I doubt that xastir would run well on the N810s etc. Check out a
program called Maemo Mapper for a place to start on this platform.

Jeff