[Xastir] Stuck

Ken Bessler kg0wx at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 26 23:24:52 EDT 2008

> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:57:17 -0600
> From: wm5z at comcast.net
> To: xastir at xastir.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Stuck
>
> Ken Bessler wrote:
>> I did all that work to get Xastir to run, now I tried to set up soundmodem
>> to PTT and it won't recognize my HL-340 USB to serial port adapter!
>>
>> This is very frustrating - I have no com ports or parallel ports on my
>> Dell 1501 laptop. I need to get soundmodem to command my adapter
>> to pull the right pins high so my ptt interface will key my mobile rig.
>>
>> Help?

> Do you have it set up as /dev/ttyUSB0? Do you have permissions to use
> that port with sndmodem? These are what I would check.
>
> --
> Steve Friis

Actually, my GPS is /dev/ttyUSB0 and dmesg reports the serial converter
as /dev/ttyUSB1. I noticed soundmodemconfig didn't have an entry for that
but the prog allowed me to write it in.

Here's my soundmodem start up script:

#!/bin/bash
# This will launch soundmodem and change
# the permissions on/dev/soundmodem0
soundmodem &
sleep 1
chmod 666 /dev/soundmodem0

I call the script with this command:

sudo ./start-tnc.sh

I also (as root) just tried this command (a shot in the dark):

chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB1

The error I get with the start-tnc.sh script is:

 Device "/dev/ttyUSB1" neither parport nor serport
sm[14360]: cannot start PTT output

I'm pretty new at this ubuntu linux stuff - am I missing something?

Ken KG0WX