[Xastir] Font troubles

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 31 16:04:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:55:06PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> Yet another idea would be to use
> "-*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" as the default font.  Here
> we specify only the parameters that are important and leave the rest
> to the system.  In fact near the top of main.c:main() you'll see
> "*.fontList: -misc-fixed-*-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*".  This font gets
> used if we don't set the font.  But we do set the font.

BTW, when I built and started using the new code, I found that this choice of
default fixed font was significantly different from what "fixed" used to be on
all of my systems.  The menus started being ridiculously tiny.  Fortunately,
the new code allowed me to change it pretty easily, but that was a bit of a
surprise after years of having the menus be readable by default.  I had to
push the font size up to 14 point just to be able to get it back to what
it had been before these changes so I could read the screen without my
reading glasses.

Pity that some systems aren't providing a reliable and unique meaning for
"fixed."

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach