[Xastir] Font troubles

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 31 16:37:55 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:19:06PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 04:13:05PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <patrickdk at patrickdk.com> flavor, containing:
> > I have noticed the same thing, the new code uses a smaller font on my
> > system. But I like it better though.
>
> I like the *code* better (because I get to pick my own fonts to my heart's
> content), but the default made for an unpleasant surprise after an upgrade.
> But at least I didn't experience crashes like some folks are.

FWIW, on all of my FreeBSD and Linux systems, the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias shows the "fixed" alias to be:

fixed        -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1

So for purposes of not violating the "principle of least surprise" for
users who are going to upgrade from a previous released version, perhaps
the default should be a 13 point fixed font when the font can't be read from
the config file.  Those of us tracking CVS will already have dealt with this,
but there are plenty of users using binary packages or who only upgrade when
a stable release comes out instead of development snapshots, and keeping the
font roughly the same as before the upgrade would probably stave off some
bug reports.

Of course, complaining vigorously to the packagers of X installations that
don't have a unique "fixed" system alias might also be appropriate.