[Xastir] 300 baud off-air data into Xastir

Chris Moulding g4hyg at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 15:22:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

Recently I've been toying with the idea of making a HF 300 baud APRS
transceiver for RAYNET use to provide APRS coverage in the large areas
outside the range of 2m coverage in the UK.  It will probably eventually
use a frequency on 160m to provide ground wave propagation over the
local hills.

I've got the transmit side working OK using an OT1+ tracker with direct
data output at 300 baud using a direct FSK transmitter on 10.1492 /
10.1494 MHz (G4HYG-10 test transmitter) and I'm now working on a simple
HF APRS receiver using an audio filtered XR-2211 PLL IC to receive the
off-air data. That's now working OK but I need to find a way to feed the
raw off-air (HDLC?) data into Xastir.

I notice that there is no data rate option in the AX25 serial modem
interface setup box. Is there a way to set it up so that it can use the
raw off-air 300 baud data without an intervening KISS TNC? I think it
will work the same as a Baycom modem except at 300 baud? If the AX25
data rate can be changed from 1200 baud to 300 baud then it should work
on transmit as well?

I apologise if the question is not worded correctly as I'm really a pure
RF man and the various data protocols tend to confuse me!

73,

Chris, G4HYG