[Xastir] More detail on 300 baud transceiver...

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Tue Jun 24 15:23:47 EDT 2008

Hi Chris, and all,

One of the problems you face right off the bat, with using a standard PC
RS-232 serial port, is that it can't directly produce 8-bit synchronous data
- it will add in start and stop bits.  That's one of the reasons KISS was
developed.

Another device, the YAM modem, required using a serial port baud rate that
was double that of the on-air rate, to allow it to deal with the synchronous
HDLC data format specified for AX.25.  Of course, you could use ASCII data,
but then you lose the built-in ability to detect errors in the data frame.

So if you do decide to use a standard PC serial port directly, what you
create on the air will only be able to be copied by others using the same
scheme.

Hope that helps better explain the situation,

Oh - and you can thank Curt for pulling me into the discussion!

73, Bob, KD7NM