[Xastir] Thanks for the info !

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 25 16:52:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Chris Moulding wrote:

> Many thanks, Bob for your detailed clear explanation of the
> situation regarding modems. It looks like my best option is to
> find a suitable KISS modem circuit to convert the data on transmit
> and receive. It would also make it compatible with all APRS
> programs.

FWIW my first entry into packet was an XR2211 hooked to a radio's
speaker jack and a uP interrupt pin.  I coded the receive routines
and interrupt handler in assembly, ran them inside a Forth
interpreter.  I also computed the CRC16.  I wouldn't recommend doing
it that way, but it did work.  That was on a 0.79MHz 6803 as I
recall.  I didn't do transmit on that setup, only receive.  That was
in early '85 I think.

All of that is taken care of if you start with a KISS TNC.  The
Tracker2, the OT1+, the TT4, and the TNC-X can all do it for very
small $$.  Some of them may be able to do 300 baud as well.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer