[Xastir] geos error

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 12:06:30 EST 2008

Hello,

Fyi, I did a CVS install (XASTIR 1.93) yesterday under VectorLinux, which is
Slackware based.  Although everything appeared to compile OK, I got an error
when trying to start Xastir from the terminal - basically it said the file
libgeos.so.2 could not be found.  A google search found someone complaining
in a non-Xastir context about trying to build GDAL and needing
libgeos.so.3but only having
libgeos.so.2.  I was about to just get rid of GDAL since I don't really need
it, but then I noticed that a Geos 3.0 package was installed, and there was
an older version 2.23 available.  I downgraded to Geos 2.23, and that fixed
it.  Sure enough the file /usr/lib/libgeos.so.2 is now present when it was
not there before.  Curiously the Gslapt package manager doesn't currently
show that the GDAL package has a dependency on Geos, but it still may have
installed Geos when I selected GDAL from the repositories - not sure - was
not paying enough attention at the time.

I may be the only one playing with Xastir and VectorLinux, so this Geos
thing not be an issue with other distro's, but I thought I would pass on the
information in case anyone else ever sees this error.  And, for anyone using
VectorLinux 3.9 or Slackware 12.0, the following repository has some of the
harder to find libraries that Xastir can use.

ftp://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/pub/slackware/addon/slacky/slackware-12.0/

Now, if only I can find a Slackware package for OpenMotif 2.2.x so I can get
rid of the Lestif annoyances.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX