[Xastir] Cigar problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Mar 7 21:54:03 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 11:08:19AM +1030, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wavetel at internode.on.net> flavor, containing:
> Here are the results of the different situations/configurations.
>
> Gnome desktop with restricted drivers- You get the Cigar object in place of
> the selected menu.
> Gnome desktop with restricted drivers disabled- All works fine.
> KDE desktop with or without restricted drivers- All works fine.
> XFCE desktop with or without restricted drivers- All works fine.
>
> So the problem relates to restricted video drivers under Gnome only. To me
> this is a minor hassle because Gnome is just not my favorite desktop. Is it
> the restricted drivers or is it Gnome or is it Xastir that is at fault here
> ? It is certainly curious that xastir can get most of the other Menus to
> work correctly. Whats so special and different about the interfaces menu for
> example ? Is this problem unique to Ubuntu ?

It isn't even universal in Ubuntu.  My machine has the Nvidia restricted
driver, gnome, and Ubuntu 7.10 and I have never, ever seen the cigar.  Perhaps
it's a bug in the nvidia driver for certain video adapters?  My machine is
a rebranded Asus Z71V with the Nvidia 6600 Go video chipset, and I've always
used the nvidia restricted driver with it.  I use the default Gnome desktop,
don't have KDE or Xfce installed.

This is extraordinarily puzzling.  You don't, by any chance, have "Desktop
Effects" enabled, do you?