[Xastir] Tnc, connection choices

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Mar 10 15:50:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:30:19PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> The TNC-X USB model just has a USB/RS232 adapter built in - it's not
> like you have specific USB drivers for a TNC.  Unfortunately he chose
> to use a custom vendor ID (at one time, at least), so you must get
> customized drivers from him, instead of using the generic driver for
> that chipset.  Not sure how that works out with linux.

I didn't realize this -- I had noted at one time that the chipset in the
TNC-X was one that was supported under linux kernels, so just assumed it would
be OK.  Obviously, if he's got some custom tweakage in there then perhaps it
won't work.

Personally, I'd go with the USB/Serial adapters, and I can tell you that
the one sold by Purple Open Project works fine business.  http://pfranc.com/
The direct link to information about the adapter is
http://www.pfranc.com/cgi-bin/P/USB_G4/garmin-GPS-cables