[Xastir] Couple house-keeping things

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Thu May 1 09:15:55 EDT 2008

I downloaded the most recent GNIS Data from the USGS
(http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/index.html) earlier this week and was
disappointed to remember that the new data does not contain as much info as
the old data. The biggest thing that I noticed missing was the Estimated
Population. Without that, it's hard for mapping data to differentiate between
large cities and small cities, so it's basically an all or nothing display.

Has anyone done any research to see if the data is available from another
source that would provide Xastir with the information that it needs?

One thing that may be nice to have is the FIPS data
(http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/fips55codedef.html), with the
classification information there, we could turn on/off features based on type.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU