[Xastir] Xastir and Baycom modem

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon May 12 03:33:37 EDT 2008

This off topic, but then again it isn't.

I'm working with Wes on this one but also configured a Baycom modem on a
machine here this afternoon to make certain the process works.

I have to say that not a single document adequately covered setting up a
Baycom modem under Linux.

This is what I've done to make it work. My comport is ttyS0 so make
changes as appropriate for your installation. I use Rose and Netrom, you
may not require them.

This from my rc.ax25

# Configure serial ports
   echo "Configuring serial ports"
# set serial port conditions for Baycom modem
   /bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS0 uart none
   echo "starting modules"
   modprobe mkiss
   modprobe ax25
   modprobe rose
   modprobe netrom
   modprobe baycom_ser_hdx mode="ser12*" iobase=0x3f8 irq=4
   # the * after ser12 turns on software DCD.
   #
   echo "AX25: starting interfaces ..."
       #
   #
   echo "configure the bcsh0/2m device"
   /usr/local/bin/sethdlc -i bcsh0 -p mode "ser12*" io 0x3f8 irq 4
   /usr/local/bin/sethdlc -i bcsh0 -a txd 250 slot 200 ppersist 40 half
   /sbin/ifconfig bcsh0 44.136.56.199 hw ax25 VK2TV-6
   /sbin ifconfig bcsh0 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 44.136.56.255 arp
   # providing an ip address seems to be compulsory. The port wasn't
useable otherwise.
   # the callsign is from axports

Note that bc# is no longer the dev name. There's bcsf for full duplex,
bcsh for half duplex, plus others for sound modems.

Note also that the ip address appears compulsory. Please don't use mine!
Without the ip address the port appeared to to be loaded correctly
(reported in ifconfig) but the port was shown as not being active.

Posted FWIW.

Ray vk2tv