[Xastir] Transmit Shapefile ?

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Tue May 20 14:25:12 EDT 2008

If you don't have time to put Tom's method to work, you could think about
what I do for the Seattle Marathon route:  I took a bitmap copy of the
Marathon map, added the georeference information to  a .geo file for it, and
set Xastir up to load it "above"  my usual underlying map, USGS topo's.  To
add/replace the street level data, then Xastir then loads the Tiger
shapefile street maps.  I turn street names on and off as needed.  Of course
you would need to distribute the bit map and georeferencing file to each of
the display computers, but if the route is too complicated to send over the
air, or there isn't enough time to make up the needed multipoint multiline
object entries, this could get you going more quickly, and possibly more
reliably.  I've also done something like this for some of the bicycle rides
I support, for my in-vehicle tracker, so that I stay on route, even when
driving it in reverse.

I also use the "Assign Tactical Call" button on the station info window to
translate the amateur station callsigns into meaningful tactical identifiers
for my operation.  Using the tactical identifiers means that you don't have
to convince folks to reprogram trackers that are already working fine, and
you don't have to take the chance that a mistake in reconfiguration puts
that tracker off the air.

Hope that's food for thought.

73, Bob, KD7NM